In 2014, I completed a research practicum within the Faculty of Social Work with Christine Walsh.
I participated in and learned about the following components of academic research:
- Literature Review
- Wrote initial literature review for a study that examined attitudes and knowledge of bachelor-level social work students in an online gerontology class.
- Ethics Approval
- Completed TCPS 2: CORE certification from the Panel on Research Ethics
- Worked with a research assistant to complete an ethics application for a project looking at FASD symptoms in Calgary homeless populations.
- Read about, studied and learned Grounded Theory.
- Wrote initial methods section for gerontological attitudes study.
- Coded and themed interview data for study concerning Calgary's immigrant serving sector workers.
- Coded and themed photovoice data for an exercise examining balance in grad-level social work students.
- Coded and themed online discussions and analyzed quantitative data for study with social work students attending an online gerontology class.
- Created initial models for immigrant serving sector study and photovoice paper.
- Writing for publication
- Co-wrote initial photovoice paper and edited final article for publication.
- Walsh, C.A., Casselman, P.J., Hickey, J., Lee, N., & Pliszka, H. (2015). Engaged in Research/Achieving Balance: A Case Example of Teaching Research to Masters of Social Work Students. Journal of Contemporary Research in Education, 8(2).
- Research Presentation
- Designed and co-wrote research poster.
- Casselman, P.J., & Pliszka, H. (2014). Engaged in Research/Achieving Balance: Graduate Social Work Students’ Perspectives. Research poster presented at Faculty of Social Work Research Symposium on April 4, 2014 in the University of Calgary.
- Research Poster (1MB PDF)
- Community Meetings
- Participated in meetings for the following projects:
- Planning for qualitative participatory study examining the experiences of indigenous youth in foster care.
- Data collaboration meetings with immigrant serving sector workers.
- Launch of results giving voice to the experiences in shelters of persons living with homelessness.
Charmaz, K. (2006). Constructing Grounded Theory: A Practical Guide. London, UK: SAGE Publications Ltd.